Friday, April 1, 2011

How to start a new flower bed


Gardening is a labor of love.  You've heard of curb appeal?  Well, that is what it adds to the value of your home. 

It also adds birdsong, flutterering butterflies, scent and color to your outdoor activities.

To have a successful garden takes some planning.
It needs to have structure, so it looks good throughout the seasons.  If you use perrenials they do not flower all year, and that has to be kept in mind.

I like to think about my 'hardscape' first.  That means walls, paths, fountains, and ponds.

A wall can be composed of many materials.  It can be brick or block, fencing, or a scrub border.  I have also used edging as a border.  The purpose of this is to separate and bring your eye to the level of the garden.  You'll also want to take in mind if your home calls for straight or curving lines.

I am going to give you a series of posts, taking you through this process. I will discuss soil maintenance, plant choices for different locations, using plants of differing heights, entending the season with the choice of plants, and bringing scent, birds & butterflies into the garden.

Please let me know what questions you may have that I might be able to answer for you.

No comments: